Many patients diagnosed with fatty liver are trying to find additional ways to boost their recovery and especially their weight loss (since being overweight is usually the most common case of NAFLD in the first place). For years, apple cider vinegar and fatty liver reversal have been linked and in today’s article we’re going to find out everything about this: does apple cider vinegar help when it comes to reversing fatty liver? And how to take apple cider vinegar to help your liver get back in shape?
The good news is that of all the natural remedies for fatty liver, ACV (apple cider vinegar) seems to work best for most patients, without any side effects. So we’ll start with the most important answer: yes, there is evidence that apple cider vinegar helps people lose weight and also reduce fat content in the liver (therefore helping reverse NAFLD). Great news!
How does Apple Cider Vinegar work?
There are a lot of benefits from taking ACV for NAFLD or at least incorporating it into your daily diet. There are several important things that this natural product helps with. One place where I found them nicely explained and summed up is Doctor Oz’s website. Here’s a short list of its benefits in case you don’t want to read all the details:
– reduces blood sugar levels
– lowers insulin levels, encouraging fat burning
– offers overall improvements to metabolism functions
– reduces fat levels and actually burns fat
These are all great things for fatty liver patients, offering them an additional weapon to reverse their condition as fast as possible. The good news is that, apart from people in various regions confirming the beneficial effects of apple cider vinegar, there are also numerous studies to back up these claims!
How to take Apple Cider Vinegar for fatty liver?
First of all, before learning how to take ACV in order to help us get back to optimum health levels, it’s important to have in mind another thing: you should try to go for using organic, raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar in order to make sure that you get the full package in terms of benefits. The best product in my opinion is Bragg’s Organic ACV which is available on Amazon. One bottle usually lasts about a month, so it’s really worth buying it, especially since it’s so good for your health, right?
Of course, you can choose any other brand as they are all beneficial. The most important things to have in mind are, in this order: that it is raw AND contains no preservatives, that it is unfiltered and that it is organic. Organic is not really a must, but helps you know that you are getting the best possible product – and when we’re talking about your health, you should be picky!
Now that we know what to get, let’s find out how to use it!
Fortunately, there are multiple ways to use apple cider vinegar in order to help reverse your fatty liver and you can choose the one that is most suitable for you:
1. The most common method is that of taking it as medicine every morning, before eating anything: pour one tablespoon (around 15ml) in a glass with some warm water. Stir well and drink. The taste is not amazing and this is the reason why some people add a bit of honey. I don’t recommend doing that, but if you can’t drink it otherwise, make sure you only add a bit (half a teaspoon at most).
2. An easier way to deal with it and make it seem even more natural to your body is drinking the same amount (one tablespoon in a glass of water) during meals. This way, you can easily gulp it down, then continue eating. You can also reduce the water content to half a glass. I personally believe that this is a better option and some fatty liver experts recommend taking it this way.
3. Finally, you don’t have to use it as a medicine. Just incorporate it to your diet and make sure that you use the recommended amount (15ml or 1 tablespoon) every day. The easiest way to naturally incorporate it to your diet is by using it as a salad dressing. It’s OK to use it together with extra virgin olive oil.
And this is how I did it, actually. After being diagnosed, I didn’t know about the possibility of taking it as a medicine every morning, but I did incorporate it into my diet and consumed it on an (almost) daily basis. I have since reversed my fatty liver, so it sure helped!
Are there any side effects?
First of all, we should start by saying that usually, ACV has no side effects. There have been some studies connecting it with potential damage to the teeth because of its acidic structure, but usually this is prevented by diluting it into water. There are other studies connected to reduced potassium level and similar problems, but the number of cases is very small and the patients with problems have consumed very large quantities of undiluted apple cider vinegar (over 200ml per day), sometimes for years. So from this point of view, we can consider it an extremely safe product which can be used on a daily basis with moderation (no more than 30ml or two tablespoons per day).
Also, it may interact with special medications, mainly medication for diabetics. People taking medication for diabetes and ACV might experience dangerously low blood sugar or potassium levels. If you take pills for diabetes, it’s much safer to talk to your doctor first.
For how long should you take apple cider vinegar?
Although many people consider it a miracle and even medicine, this is not the case. Apple Cider Vinegar is extremely beneficial and helps a lot when it comes to losing weight and fat and, as a result, reverse NAFLD, but it won’t do wonders over night and it won’t work if you don’t change your lifestyle and make the required changes to your diet.
Also, you should take it for at least 30 days and my recommendation is to keep it as an ingredient that you constantly use when cooking at home (salads are the best place to add your ACV naturally). I am still using it even after reversing fatty liver and it never hurts. Just make sure you don’t use more than the recommended amount (1 tablespoon per day, maximum two).